What is a District Level License & When Do You Need Them?

Home / News /What is a District Level License & When Do You Need Them?
What is a District Level License & When Do You Need Them?

Thinking about starting a new development project? It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement despite the numerous planning permissions and litigation you need. A required step many can overlook is a protective species survey. In the UK, there are several animals protected by law – this includes Great Crested Newts.

A particular type of survey and license you may need before getting started is a District Level License, but what are they and at what part of the process do you need them?

In this blog, we take a look at what a District Level License is and what it means for you.

What is a District Level License?

A District Level License is part of the planning process. Essentially, it is a permit that allows for the disturbance or displacement of this protected species during development activities.

To put it simply, it’s a green light to proceed with your project while ensuring the conservation of Great Crested Newts. Without this license, your project may be ordered to stop at any point if the sign of these protected animals.

Why Do You Need Them?

Great Crested Newts are known for their elusive nature and sensitive habitats; this means that you must be extra cautious when identifying their habitats. Failure to do so can result in a hefty fine.

Before starting your development project, it is ideal to conduct a Great Crested Newt survey to determine if these creatures are present on the proposed site. If the survey indicates the presence of Great Crested Newts, a District Level License becomes essential to legally undertake your project without harming this protected species.

How Does District Level Licensing Work?

For district level licensing, a mitigation cost is calculated using survey data or the zone that the site is located in. The licence certificate is signed and dated and submitted with the planning application. The cost is based upon the location of the site and the mitigation charge.

What Other Great Crested Newt Surveys Do I Need?

Before diving District Level Licensing, initiating a Great Crested Newt survey is the initial step. These surveys, conducted by environmental experts like Greenlight, help identify whether the site is a habitat for the protected species. The data collected during these surveys determines the appropriate mitigation fee for the District Level License. District Level Licensing can be overwhelming, but the Greenlight Team is here to help. If you need any advice during the process or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.